DENTAL – MERCURY – SILVER AMALGAM

I previously wrote a BLOG about mercury amalgam (October 29, 2017) which you can find on this  Website.  In that article I discuss the structural implications of amalgam restorations and my experience with the destructive effects of this dental material.

For over 150 years, amalgam has been somewhat controversial due to the presence of mercury.  Amalgam is an amalgamation of 5 metals: Mercury, silver, tin, copper, and zinc.  50% of amalgam is mercury, 25% is silver, and the remaining metals account for the other 25%.  The stance of the “dental establishment” is that Amalgam is safe to use and provides a cost-effective solution with which to fill and repair decayed and fractured teeth.  The stance of the so-called “wholistic or alternative” dental practitioners is that mercury is a neuro-toxin that is bad for the body and our health.

I have always avoided this discussion because I feel that regardless of the truth in this argument, there are better materials to use to restore teeth these days.  However, I have recently been reading a very informative book called WHOLE-BODY DENTISTRY BY Dr. Mark A. Breiner.  He provides some very compelling data about mercury amalgam fillings that I feel are worth sharing.

Something to Think About:  This first point is something that I have thought about for many years.  Did you know that in Toronto, and many other cities and municipalities around the world, dentists are required to have amalgam separators on their vacuum equipment to prevent scraps of amalgam from reaching our sewage systems?  Waste amalgam must be disposed of by a special medical waste company.  It seems that the only “safe” place for amalgam is in our mouths.  How can that be?

Following is a list of some of the dangers of mercury as articulated by Dr. Breiner in his book.

·       Mercury escapes from amalgam fillings continuously in the form of vapour.  We then inhale this vapour through the lungs and into the blood stream.  From there it is carried to virtually all the bodily tissues, including the brain.  Stimulation to the fillings from chewing, tooth-grinding, drinking hot liquids, etc. increases the amount of vapour released.

·       The label of one brand of amalgam says “Danger:  Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects … do not allow mercury to be released into streams or waterways”.  Hmmm ….

·       Scientific evidence for mercury toxicity from these fillings states the following:

o   Mercury from these fillings continuously vaporizes into air in the mouth.

o   This mercury vapour is inhaled and absorbed into the body.

o   The mercury from the fillings then, becomes widely distributed through the body where it is stored for a very long time.

o   There is a correlation in autopsy studies between the amount of mercury in brain tissue, and the number, size, and number of tooth surfaces of amalgam fillings in the mouth.

o   The amount of mercury in the brain is directly proportional to the number of fillings someone has.

o   Mercury absorbed from amalgam fillings can cause changes in body chemistry – subtle changes which might not be apparent initially.

·       Mercury has been found to have a negative health effect on fertility and on children. Health Canada’s position on the use of amalgam recommends using non-metal fillings in primary teeth (baby teeth) and avoiding the use of amalgam in pregnant women and women in their child-bearing years.

·       Mercury passes through the placental barrier and accumulates in the fetus.

·       Mercury can also pass to the new-born via nursing. (it is found in breast milk)

·       Mercury has been implicated in the development of Alzheimer’s Disease, although to my knowledge this has not yet been proven.

·       According to the World Health Organization, the major source of mercury burden in the body is from fillings, not from food or the environment.

 

There of course, is much more to say about this topic, but for the purpose of this article I have presented “food for thought”.  The Canadian Dental Association and the American Dental Association feel that these fillings are safe for the general population.  Some say there is no safe level of mercury for the human body.

I don’t know the complete answer to this.  What I can say however, is that in general, the fewer toxins our bodies have to deal with in our life-times, the healthier we will be.  Toxins can come from food, the environment (such as the air we breathe, the water we drink), medications, materials implanted in our bodies such as amalgam fillings, and from poorly eliminated waste products of digestion, respiration etc.  I feel that if we can limit our exposure to these toxins, we will be able to live healthier and happier lives.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

If you have any thoughts or questions about this paper, please feel free to engage and leave comments.DE