DENTAL HYGIENE & disease Prevention
Dental Hygiene & Disease Prevention
Why are Routine Visits to a Dental Hygienist Essential?
We believe that routine cleaning of the teeth helps to promote a healthy mouth and body. Regular dental cleanings help to reduce plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth, which helps to keep both the teeth and gums healthy. Healthy gums are the foundation of a healthy smile.
When cleaning your teeth, a dental hygienist can reach areas that brushing and flossing can not. It is our belief that to achieve excellent health, it is necessary to form a partnership with your health-care providers. Patients who visit the dentist on a routine basis are less likely to develop tooth decay, gum disease, and other health-related concerns.
Oral health is closely linked to full-body health. Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease can contribute to many other health problems. Chronic inflammation in your gums has been associated with such conditions as cardiovascular disease, memory problems, low birth weight babies, diabetes, and the list goes on. At Dr. Marty Frankel, Smiles by Design, we have implemented a programme to help our patients get healthier mouths. It is called The Dental Fitness Programme. The Dental Fitness Programme focuses on aspect of oral health: specifically gum health. Our hygienist Dorothy, will track your health and bleeding levels and will give you personalized feedback and information on how to improve your oral health.
Our GOAL in implementing The Dental Fitness Programme is that our patients will need less dental work in their lifetime, fewer cleanings, and see a significant improvement in their overall health!
As mentioned above, the best way to attain excellent oral health, is to form a partnership with us, where we each fulfill our respective roles.
What we do:
- Medical and Dental history updates
- Discussions with you about health and disease (coaching and education)
- Oral cancer screenings
- Digital x-rays (dramatically reduced radiation)
- Fluoride treatments
- Oral examinations
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Nutritional coaching
- Gum tissue health/risk exam (dental fitness programme)
- Tooth health/risk exam
- Bite force/chewing system risk exam
- TMJ exam
- Hygiene maintenance – scaling and tooth cleanings
What you do:
- Commit to a daily home-care routine
- Keep your scheduled appointments
- Follow through with optimal dental care
- Ask us questions if you need more information, are unsure of anything, or if you don’t understand something and need clarification. (we are committed to your dental health success!)
- Follow recommended protocols for Home-care